• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Coding Pregnancy with Preterm Contractions

Kat1940

I came across this coding scenario for outpatient and I have the hardest time with pregnancy. For an outpatient visit, a woman is 27 weeks pregnant, she is in for labs for preterm contractions and high blood pressure and the Dr lists pregnancy supervision also.
Is anyone really good at coding pregnancy?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Just real quick keep in mind global packages on these type of visits. I only have a moment but will check in later and give you some more information. (unless someone beats me to it. )

Lorraine

Kat - remember that all problems that occur during pregnancies are considered complications of pregnancy and need to have a diagnosis code from Chapter 11 of ICD-9-CM - Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Puerperium. So just as an example, you assign 642.xx for the if the patient has pre-existing hypertension or is it transient hypertension in pregnancy and you also have to code the premature contractions with a code from the 644.xx series - early or threatened labor. the pregnancy supervision could be coded with V23.89 because of the other existing health problems. These are just suggestions, but hopefully can help you better code your encounter.